Last week, America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) submitted a letter to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners' (NAIC)Special Committee on Race and Insurance highlighting what AHIP and its member organizations are doing to address health equity.
The letter includes comments in response to the Special Committee's August 27 meeting notice charges and workstreams, as well as key actions being taken by AHIP member plans, including:
- Communication and listening sessions with internal and external stakeholders
- Increasing company commitments to hiring and promoting diverse candidates, including the C-Suite level
- Expanding and growing supplier diversity in all business verticals and across the entire enterprise
- Deploying unconscious bias and conscious inclusion training
- Enhancing efforts to reduce health disparities and improve health equity
- Making significant community-based financial investments to address systematic racism and health inequities
The letter also emphasizes AHIP's Project Link collaborative to address social barriers to health care, which launched a Health Equity Workgroup in response to the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 and recent events related to police misconduct against communities of color.
Please click here to view the letter.